denial. shock. sad. pain. acceptance. anger. peace. repeat. repeat. repeat...
HAPPINESS AT LAST!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

let's talk about grief

The definition: keen mental suffering or distress over affliction or loss; sharp sorrow; painful regret

hmm...that does not even begin to define grief for me. Not even close. Here lies the problem. There is a huge opportunity to define grief on a much greater level. I have not met anyone who has gone through what I'm going through (young widow is how I define myself), but I know there are people out there. 40% of all deaths in the United States are sudden. People ARE out there.

No one really knows what to do or say and that's okay. I don't know what to do or say sometimes. But the truth is that it all sucks. I would rather someone say, "I'm sorry Grayson, this sucks," instead of, "how was your weekend?" This is where the education part comes in, which I plan to do. It's very important.

I have an idea. I am going to be an advocate for grievers and friends/family of those grieving, when I'm ready. There is more to this, but I will keep it private for now. I do know there is a huge opportunity for change, and I plan to lead the charge and make that change. <insert Michael Jackson song here>

Grievers will not ask for help (well some might, but not a lot). I will not call someone and say I need this or that. It's the honest truth. Grievers don't know what they need, so how will they know when to reach out? I've struggled with this. I know people are out there, ready for whatever I might need, but I haven't asked for anything. No one can truly deliver what I need...Scott.

It's important for friends and family to enter and push themselves into my life, knowing that I will rarely come to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment